In very rare cases, an owner wears the hat of content manager and provides regular updates to the website. With a little bit of tutoring this client can be self sufficient. My favorite success story for WordPress websites and the non-blogger is the restauranteur who is empowered to update their own menu and post special events and seasonal offerings. Please don’t post a pdf! It just doesn’t add to your online find-ability.
Your website still needs a periodic tune up much like we do on our cars. Mileage may vary but most importantly any WordPress website requires regular updates for security. It is also important to keep up to date with Search Engine Optimization because there are always updates to standards, directories, and the search engines. Even if you have a static billboard website or a DIY site, it is a good idea to have an occasional find-ability review by an expert.
- Is your website usable on mobile devices?
- Does it load fast enough?
- Have you checked your directory listings?
- Have you updated WordPress and all plugins?
- Are you measuring your website traffic?
- Do you need rich snippets?
- Are you checking in a filter bubble?
There is so much more to website than the content. Even the hosting you choose can make a difference in the success of your website.